Idyllwild ~ A Destination Resort
As the story goes, Idyllwild was once the summer home for bands of Cahuilla Indians some 2500 years ago. Originally known as Strawberry Valley, Idyllwild enjoyed the proliferation of wild strawberries that grew alongside the appropriately named, Strawberry Creek.
In the late 1800's, a toll road was built from Hemet which opened Idyllwild to tourism. A commercial camp was opened and named Camp Idylwilde and soon after, a post office was introduced. The town name changed to Idyllwild.
In 1901, the Idyllwild Sanatorium was built to accommodate and treat tuberculosis patients, but soon after was remodeled as a hotel and then burned down. In 1905, the hotel was rebuilt as a resort destination and called Idyllwild Among The Pines. After undergoing another name change, the new owners subdivided the property and sold them as vacation lots. This land today is known as the Idyllwild village.